24 August 2007

Didactic temperate imapatience




Day 5 in New Orleans.
Adjusting at last to the "air". It works out best if I stay inside between the hours of 10am and 6pm.
Thank God the library is kick ass.

Drew a bit this morning, considering starting a drawing of the day post to help motivate daily drawing.
We will see how this plays out. Finally met the phantom roomate, a big burly guy we shall call Mr. Brown.
Since comming out of hiding he has been a great source of information about the area, the city in general,
and a little bit of New Orleans History. Although he did go a bit far in telling me that the far corner of the street
may just be a favourite crack vending corner. I love my block more and more everyday.

On a slightly happier front, I have tenativly befriended a couple of fellows, M. & B..
M. is a North Carolinian fellow Tulanian studying Law (also know as the way of the avocado to us french speakers).
A nice burly cub of a guy. He gave me a ride home last evening, saving me from further exposure to the "air", but ominously responded with a "we'll see" when asked if I would indeed see him again. Fingers crossed.
B. is from Florida. A very motivated young lad with the goal of opening a KIPP school (www.kipp.org) here in New Orleans, of which he will be Principal. We had dinner at an oddly charming restauraunt called, no joke, Nacho Mamas on Magazine Street.
I've never before had a chocolate mole, but perhaps I will again. One day. Anyway, dinner went well, conversation was great with only a few awkward moments of silence. Sadly poor B. is being shipped off to the peanit fields of North Carolina (Why do I have such boundless ties to that state?) to shaddow, and thus become a principal. For a month. Will attempt to text him, if he gets a signal.

No comments: